Monday 8 June 2020

Back to Languages

Last night's Italian class was so great, I decided to pull up my socks and go back to proper language study. This morning I made my coffee and studied Italian for half and hour and then Polish for half an hour. I then wrote a note to my writing students and included it in the cardboard envelope of marking.  I was going to do 20 minutes on the exercise bike, but the laundry needed hanging out.

Then I went to work.

Benedict Ambrose told me some years ago that if I had stuck to Italian and Italian alone, I would have been fluent in it already. This is very likely true. One of the positive benefits of not studying Polish for two months is that when I speak to my Italian tutor, Polish no longer intrudes. However, I am determined to become trilingual (at very least), so what can I do?

At this point I would be willing to study Polish in a different room from the one I speak Italian in, wear different clothes, learn entirely different sets of words (winter words for Poland, summer words for Italy; ecclesiastical political terminology in Italian, secular political terminology in Polish, etc.). Anything to stop Polish from getting in the way of Italian, and Italian from getting in the way of Polish.

Meanwhile, I feel energised by my two month break from Polish and extra Italian study, and I think I will even work on my Italian accent.

Gardening News: My Burgeon and Ball Folding Pruning Saw arrived today. To the best of my knowledge, it was made in Sheffield. I am now going outside to saw some dead apple branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment