Tuesday 14 April 2020

A Day Outdoors

This is what 50 dandelions look like.
This will be a post of photos because not much can be said about yesterday.

We watched Easter Monday Mass at Warrington. I counted the number of dandelions I pulled up--141--and I thinned out our lunchtime żurek with properly Polonized vegetable stock. B.A. made risotto with the leftover sauce from his Easter lamb dish. I ate most of the leftover mazurek and thought about the mazurek I will make for Pentecost.

The most interesting thing we did was go for a country walk from our front door. B.A. found new paths, and we saw new fields and new views. I'm sorry my photograph of the electronic highway sign, seen from a bridge, did not come out very well. It said "Easter Weekend. Stay Home. Do Not Travel" to all the travelling cars. Very amusing.

Although it was not a warm afternoon, it was sunny. By the way, lest the police be summoned, my day was "outdoors" also because of two lengthy sessions of dandelion grubbing. I'm on a particularly bad patch right now.

Without further ado, here are some lovely photos to bring the Scottish countryside into your quarantined life.
Candy-cane tulip.


A new path.
A loud hum from the bees.
More dream houses.
Train to Waverley.
Church on a hill
A leafy new path.
Grassy steps.
Elephant!
Pastoral.
Flowers.
Barred from beauty spot!
If I ever learn to drive, my dream car.
Primrose bank.

I reflected to Benedict Ambrose that being able to travel exercise only as far as we can walk makes me appreciate our local countryside more than ever before. I also thought about how glad I am we live where we live, so close to a body of water but also to the countryside. I'd have to walk a very long time from my parents' home in Toronto to reach countryside nowadays.

At the same time, our walk reminded me of a marvellous bicycle ride I had with my now-cloistered Benedictine friend around her part of an apple-growing region southwest of Warsaw. I've never seen such beautiful countryside. I hope to go there again one day.

Update: Forgot to mention that we tried last summer's cider! I think it turned out very well. It certainly tastes apple-y. 

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Edinburgh was so close to lush countryside. It's really beautiful. How long does it take ye to walk to the those areas? You are very lucky. Sinéad.

    ReplyDelete