Friday 3 July 2020

The Tomatoes

My friend in the countryside sent me home with two tomato plants, for she feels she has too many in her greenhouse. It is a truth universally acknowledged in Scotland that a tomato plant without a greenhouse perishes in the damp summer weather. We don't have a greenhouse, so I am experimenting with the windowsill. When the sun comes back, I will put the tomato plants for an extended daylight recess.

Meanwhile, the second courgette, which is trying to supplant the rosemary as the king of the herb barrell, has put out a blossom. I will eat it for breakfast tomorrow.

In pea news, the pea seedlings under pop bottle cloches have clearly developed so much faster than their younger brothers that I have made new cloches for them. So far there has been no damage to the peas seedlings.

The kale and the rainbow chard are flourishing hugely, and we are having the rainbow chard with dinner tonight.

I have complained to the First Minister about the 14 day quarantine on travellers to Scotland via Twitter. Unfairly, I did not complain to the Prime Minister of Canada about the 14 day quarantine on travellers there. However, what happens in Canada is a minority interest in Scotland, and the fact that the English can traipse back and forth across the Channel without a care probably rankles in many Scottish souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment