Tuesday 9 July 2019

Achtung in Alexanderplatz

A long day made rather exciting by a fire alarm in the "Vapiano" chain restaurant in Alexanderplatz. The recorded voice said, "Achtung! Achtung!" which B.A. found very thrilling, as he didn't know Germans say that outside of war movies. Everyone, including the chefs, had to go outside. Fire trucks appeared.

More tomorrow. I am dead tired. I found the horrible multinational chain stores and restaurants all around Alexanderplatz terribly depressing, but the Commies wanted everything international, so I suppose it serves Alexanderplatz right. And when I say multinational, I'm talking not only Disney and  Starbucks, I'm talking Decathlon and Lush. Photos tomorrow.

Really, it is the weirdest thing emerging from the Alexanderplatz U-Bahn, sniffing the air, and knowing at once that a Lush is nearby. Same smell outside the Lush in Toronto. Same smell outside the Lush in Edinburgh. Same smell outside the Lush in Berlin.

I liked Potsdamer Platz better, and enjoyed bouncing back and forth over the strip of bricks marking where the Berlin Wall once divided it in half.

Update: I've had a message from someone saying "Well, at least it's not like this."

No comments:

Post a Comment