Monday 15 January 2024

I am Susan


It is a truth as yet unacknowledged that any woman over 45 in charge of some aspect of parish life could be a Susan. 

Thanks to Twitter's "Susan from the Parish Council," English-speaking Catholics online have had a chuckle or two at the expense of the elderly ladies who dominate parishes and fight for the Spirit of Vatican Two. And I don't doubt that many of these ladies are tyrants who deserve a bit of mockery, although I note that the promulgation of the Spirit of Vatican Two was not their fault.

I laughed at Susan, too, until I found myself crying bitterly in a car park because my TLM community was probably being moved to a chapel with a tearoom that would have been inaccessible to the disabled, difficult for parents, and dangerous for children. I believe the clergy involved rather liked the pretty chapel, but I was furious. Sometimes when you scratch a Trad you find a member of Alpha Sigma Nu.  I went on the warpath, and without knowing exactly how or why it happened, I note that we were not moved in the end. 

Recently I discovered that plans are afoot to renovate the tearoom for which I went to war. I wrote to my opposite number at the Earlier Mass to discover what this meant to her After Mass Coffee and Tea and to my After Mass Coffee and Tea. It was, I reflected, one Susan writing to another. 

Yesterday someone gave me a board game called "Jane Austen's Matchmaker Chapter Two," which made me feel that my Susan tendencies had not gone unnoticed. However, I would like to point out that I am not at all interested in matchmaking and (once again) that Jane Austen described the lives of multi-millionaires. I like to provide rational entertainments and hope to help restore Western Civilization by reestablishing basic tenets of social behaviour, but machinations around seating arrangements and forcing X to dance with Y are not my thing. In fact, I now find the whole concept frightening. 

Matchmaking is frightening because marriage is a very serious thing and should only be entered into, in the West, because both parties are so crazy-in-love that they sincerely believe their hearts will implode if they don't marry each other. (The right man for any woman is the one who is so tactful as to be crazy about her at least 5 seconds before she is observably crazy about him. He also should have a good character and a job/trade/profession, naturally.) Marriage only works if both parties are thoroughly decent to each other and to their children, and I'm frankly terrified of the alternative. In fact, I'd rather think about being a Susan.

The difficulty with being a Susan is that some of the mirth being a Susan excites is not entirely down to being strong-minded, but being strong-minded, female, and over 45 (and, like a Karen, of European extraction). Laughing at someone because she is female and aging (and pale) strikes me as unfair. It is especially unfair as many women first feel confident and have their feet on solid ground for the first time since childhood after the age of 40. After feeling frightened and unsure for about 28 years, you finally feel confidence rushing through your veins. You perceive a problem, you take action, and all of a sudden you're a Karen--or a Susan. Unjust! 

However, women over 45 complaining because women over 45 aren't taken entirely seriously is scarcely new or original, so I will stop. Instead I will note that I also received yesterday two beautiful mugs from northern Poland in tribute to my dance-making endeavours, which was splendid. 

I will also say that my waltzing parties are now so successful that I have engaged a larger hall. Once again, I encourage my fellow Susans out there, especially the Trad Susans, to consider hosting social dancing parties of your own. 

4 comments:

  1. This puts me in mind of a recent substack post from Mary Harrington about how we all need to be “cringemaxxing.” People might laugh at the "Susans" of the world and think they’re cringe, but meanwhile they’re making valuable contributions to the community and to civilization.

    It also put me in mind of a line in Persuasion that makes the same point you do, that in marrying the wrong person “all risk would have been incurred, and all duty violated.” There’s so much more than matchmaking in Jane Austen - and so much more to Austen’s matches than meets the eye. Character growth is what brings her protagonist couples together as well as chemistry and compatibility, and her heroines all know (or come to know) that marrying the wrong person would be a much bigger disaster than remaining single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, quite true about Austen. Of course she is one of the greatest novelists (and arguably the greatest) in the English language, and an excellent Christian counsellor to boot. My chief objection to novels by Austen, Louisa May Alcott and Lucy Maud Montgomery is that they foster false expectations in the bosoms of girls who love them so much. This of course is not the authors' fault, and the they would advise their 21st century readers to be rooted in their own reality. (That reality, as long as we are in this economy, involves most women contributing financially--even if just in advance--to their households with wages.) I had an interesting discussion of Anne Shirley's snubbing of Gilbert Blythe for her imaginary ideal. Anne was not rooted in the reality that Gilbert was THE best possible husband in her village and in the late 19th century, girls usually married men from their own village. What I most object to in Anne's life is that Montgomery referred to the "sweet surrender of the bride" which is a horrible way of viewing marriage--especially a marriage someone has tried to resist. Also, I think it very unlikely--in real life--that a woman is that wrong about a man she knows well and likes over so many years. If you are spinning out a series of novels, well, of course the doubts and misadventures have to go on as long as possible. (Incidentally, I stopped watching "The Gilmore Girls" when I realized mother and daughter were going to make the same stupid mistakes and fall into bed after bed forever.) Life does not follow the same structure of a novel or a television show and it is the tragedy of my generation that so many women took "Sex & the City" as a guide to life.

      Delete
    2. (By the way, that is I, Mrs McLean. Blogger really is unwieldy these days.)

      Delete
    3. Perhaps the lives of those three authors are important footnotes to their delightful works that readers should keep in mind - Austen and Alcott remained single and poor LMM was so unhappy. Novels and entertainment are certainly not reliable guides to life, trashy tv shows least of all!

      Delete