Tuesday 5 February 2019

A Brief Appearance

Tonight I'll be giving a talk about St. Edith Stein (St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross) at St. Mary's R.C. Cathedral in Edinburgh. The Young Professionals' Adults'  meeting begins at 7 PM, and I'll take the podium at 7:10 PM.

It's been a long time since I have been asked to speak anywhere, and I feel greatly honoured. It's funny to think now that once a week I used to take a bus to another town once a week to give night classes in writing.

Update: The talk went very well. Despite the rain, about 35 young adults turned up for their weekly gathering, and nobody asked me a difficult question. It was the same room in which I heard George Weigel's talk, but so far no karmic punishment for my waspish review! :-D

I really love Saint Edith Stein, and now that I trudge into culture war battle every day, I am even surer  of the importance of her writings on women for women today. Mulieris Dignitatem is also crucial. However, I do wish Saint John Paul II had also written a Dignitatem Virorum  because it is badly needed now.

As I found it difficult to read the new faces and was a bit nervous of how my decidedly non-mainstream-feminist was going down with the Young, I was very grateful that B.A. was there, beaming in a back row.

No comments:

Post a Comment