Thursday 17 January 2019

Gillette Ads

I'm actually working, but I thought I would drop in to say I checked our medicine cabinet, and B.A. uses Bic 2s.

Whereas I suppose some women buy their husbands razors as part of a weekly shop, I don't remember my mother ever buying my usually clean-shaving father razors.

This leads me to wonder how many men prefer to buy toiletries (and other things like shirts and shoes) for themselves.

The best (albeit only other) razor ad I ever remember seeing (let alone writing about) was the one in which a middle-aged son shaves his infirm father in a nursing home. I cried. America cried. Everybody cried.

That was a good ad.

Naturally as a wannabe Eco-Trad, I would be better pleased if B.A. used a hipster-type razor with replaceable blades, but that's his business.

"Why would a TV advert cause such a fuss?" I hear you asking. "Why care?"

Clearly American men have become fed up with negative stereotypes about American men and the demonisation of things they like, like barbecuing meat in the backyard (if they have a backyard) on a warm sunny day, oblivious for a precious moment to fighting children.  (Frankly, I don't remember any fighting in our backyard without my Dad yelling "You kids cut that out. Cut it out or I'll paddle you!")

Also it's interesting when a company that caters to men starts preaching to men instead of selling them a product. A bit of a commercial gamble?

In possibly related news, I also came across articles today about young "feminist" women who are sexually fascinated by serial killers and aren't afraid to say so on Twitter.  Jeepers.

I spend hours a day trudging through the word-sludge of human sin, and I must say that anyone who thinks at this point that Western-women-in-general are somehow morally superior to Western-men-in-general is intellectually dishonest.

Finally, I am looking forward to B.A. grilling things on the barbecue in our new-to-us back garden. It is fun to see him do stereotypical man stuff. The men in my family do a lot of stereotypical man stuff when they're not watering plants, playing Chopin on the piano, or studying German. All of it involves being useful or becoming stronger, and none of it is oppressive by any stretch of the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment