Monday 4 March 2024

Observations from Misfortune

I was exhausted by bedtime last night, thanks to a long day dominated by travels by bus, car and rollator to and from Mass. 

I once thought being car-free was a great blessing; now I think it is a luxury we can no longer afford. The last time we took a taxi anywhere, it became obvious that the driver had no idea how to navigate the area without a GPS, the GPS took us on a highly original route, and the driver charged us £30.72. 

The first thing I noticed yesterday was that if I stand back and allow Benedict Ambrose to lift his lightweight rollator up or down a step, strangers will lunge past me to grab it. I am sure they mean to be helpful,  it's lovely to live in a society where people care, and. B.A. is a humble, patient man. But it leaves me feeling like a seeing-eye dog who has just been chastised for laziness. People, ask first.

The second thing I noticed was that there was dried dog dirt on a wheel of the rollator. Mindful of the car we were going  to travel in after our two bus rides, I wiped it off with a clean paper napkin I fortunately had in my pocket. I know everyone says this, but honesty, do pick up after your dog. Not everyone can see where it poops, especially after dark. (We had gone to a dinner party the night before, and our return journey was out of the Odyssey.)

The third thing I noticed (not for the first time) is that everyone is horrified when I mention the quotes given to us by mobility bathroom salesmen. Amazingly, nobody else has been asked to pay £16,000 for obviously cheap materials and a crew guaranteed to finish the job. I keep checking the internet, and it keeps telling me that people remodelling a small bathroom in the UK in 2024 should expect to pay between £4,000 and £6,000, unless they go all out and buy luxury goods.  

One salesmen told us the high price was due to COVID and Brexit. He also told us that nobody uses plywood for waterproof wall panels anymore, and in fact plywood comes from Russia. (The horror!) On the coffee table before him was a catalogue of wall panels from a rival firm, and their centre cores are made from plywood. 

As I have not yet spoken to a firm that remodels bathrooms, not just mobility bathrooms ("We did the bathroom for  X hospital, have a look at the photos!), I cannot say if it is the word "mobility" that adds £10,000 to the bill. However, as the people most likely to hire a mobility bathroom firm are the elderly and disabled, which is to say the most vulnerable adults in society, I suspect an investigation is in order. 

The fourth thing that I noticed is that my nerves are fraying, and that we both need the services of the cancer support service. Unfortunately, the cancer support service is two bus rides away, and when we were last near it and had time to go at once, it was closed. 

The fifth thing that I noticed was that I reached a flow state yesterday afternoon while reading my daily two pages of Bolesław Prus's Lalka (The Doll). It is set in 1878, it is hardly a text for foreigners, and when I go over it unaided, I can only get the gist. However, it is great fun to compare the text afterwards to a translation and fill in the gaps. 

This reminded me that I sometimes want to write a post arguing against feeling sad all the time. When Benedict Ambrose was very sick in 2017 and I was combining full-time work with second-guessing doctors and either begging them to do something or visiting B.A. in hospital, I received an angry email from an up-to-that-moment cherished friend disgusted by my blogposts about learning Italian. Apparently this then-friend believed that I was not doing enough to help Benedict Ambrose and that I was criminally negligent. I needed to stop going to Italian class and follow her [expensive and lunatic] care plan.*  

What she didn't know was that Italian class, and thinking and writing about how speaking a second language changes a brain, and how and why second and third languages get scrambled up when you try to speak them, gave me a respite from acute mental torment. She knew Benedict Ambrose was suffering, but she couldn't seem to grasp that his wife was suffering, too, and that if she sent her wacko email, it would scar the latter for life. 

Anyway, when someone you love is very sick, you don't have to be sad all the time. You should feel free to admit that you are sad, but you should also work on keeping depression at bay. Fortunately for me, I have never thought solitary drinking or drugging the path to joy. I am also not a fan of lying on the sofa reading endless paperbacks although I know that works for others. Instead, I disappear into the world of foreign languages, and quite a wonderful world it is, too. 

*Yes, I know I have written about this recently. But it was, hands down, the worse communication I have ever received in my life. Never, ever write to the spouse of a very sick person accusing her/him of maltreating him/her. 


15 comments:

  1. Out of my own experience, I suggest that you try to read up on preparing a house for a 'disabled' person, rather than asking for a full remodel of your bathroom, which, as you suggest, seems to bring out the vultures. When my parents were very ill, the things that helped them most were grip bars in the bathtub (and beside the toilet, if necessary), extendable floor-to-ceiling grab bars that could be used for manoeuvring one's way about a house, and other similar adaptations. It could be expensive but it wouldn't cost thousands. Of course, not knowing the layout of your house, there might be issues that could prevent you from seeking out such solutions. Good luck, and God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am all about grip bars. We have temporary suction-cup grip bars until we can get some proper iron grip bars and a friend with a drill. We want to (modestly) redo the bathroom anyway, and iron grip bars will be part of the decor. As for the rest of the house (really just a flat), so far B.A. can get around with a cane and grabbing furniture.

      Delete
  2. Ok tried in your last 2 posts to flag this with you but nothing appeared. Where is your district nurse and occupational therapist from the NHS? There is a lot of equipment you can get free and also receive grants for home adaptations. Have you looked into this? Sorry if I am stating the obvious. Sinéad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, dear me. The NHS and its waiting lists. B.A. will see the OT in the next two weeks. It is not obvious, actually. I didn't know until I read something online that it's the OT who sets the ball rolling about "benefits" etc.

      Delete
  3. Bingo Clio! The occupational therapist will assess BA and your home and give independent advice. Your district nurse should be involved also. I have my fist in my mouth here wanting to scream, ridiculous you're navigating this blind. I wish you lived in my area Seraphic! Sinéad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, only today did I think to buy a book about someone having spinal (and/or brain tumours). When I discovered that they exist, I was so surprised! Hitherto I have functioned as if B.A. were the only person in history to get them. And to do the NHS justice, they do tell us about Maggie's Edinburgh, and we keep not going. But B.A. will see the O.T. soon, and then we will see. For the time being I am glad we have done things without getting their advice first, like buying the rollator and the (not the safest but better than nothing) suction cup grab bars.

      Delete
    2. I bet Maggie's has a phone book of resources you don't even know about. Do link in when you can, preferably. I'll never forget 2 retired handymen coming to our home to drill in the grab rails for my mother. They had become buddies over the years and were sent from Alone, which keeps an updated list of plumbers, electricians etc who are reputable and often half charge or do it for free. Those men had become buddies, and did jobs like that for free in order to meet up for a pint. You have no idea how much goodwill is out there for others, tap in to it please do. Sinéad

      Delete
  4. Mrs. MacLean's Friends: Please set up a GoFundMe (or the UK equivalent) for her and BA ASAP. The expenses associated with disability are horrific, and while the NHS and other agencies should provide a great deal of support, they may not cover all. I'm sure that her readers who've benefitted from her wisdom and taken comfort in her solace during their hours of need will feel honored to help her and BA out during their hour of need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO kind, but we don't need a GoFundMe! I just needed to complain! We already have a bathroom budget saved, and I know exactly how high we're going to go (needless to say, not £16,000).

      Delete
    2. I'm glad that you have what you need, but as someone who has dealt with the stress of having an ill spouse, I can say that I benefitted from having some extra financial help to make our lives--so difficult at the time--easier. Money for cabs when public transport is too exhausting, money for a down payment on a car should the time comes when public transport is impossible, money for carry-out when you are too tired to cook....I've been there.

      But what am I doing? The comment wasn't addressed to you! (Excuse my rudeness!) It was address to any friends who might be in a position to set this up. Please let others extend charity to you, as you would do to others.

      Delete
    3. I second this! I would be happy to contribute, even in a small way.
      God bless you both!

      Delete
  5. Per the comment above, I'm sure there are many of us readers who'd be happy to contribute to helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayers and advice are very welcome indeed! And what a lovely surprise to find all these comments after work. (Work ended unusually late this evening!) Mrs McL

      Delete
  6. Mrs M, I’m keeping BA in my prayers. I’ve followed you for years. The nurse in me wants to share, a maybe unnecessary, caution…get rid of all throw rugs/moveable carpets. If possible. They and rolaters are arch enemies, in my experience. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The rollator lives in the hall--B.A. can wobble around the house hanging on to chairs, etc.--and we got rid of the throw rug there long ago.

      Delete