Monday 19 February 2024

How to be Youthful

On Saturday Benedict Ambrose and I took the bus to an old-fashioned mobility aids shop and got the former a rollator. A rollator, if you happen not to live or work with elderly or sick people, is a kind of trolley that helps you walk as you push it along. It usually has a seat and it sometimes has its own work or shopping bag attached. The next time you are at a bus stop look out for a very elderly lady; she might very well have one. 

I have seen elderly ladies with rollators all week; having been in the market for such a device, I suddenly noticed them everywhere. I have also noticed many people who ought not to have been sitting in the seats for the disabled on the bus. Such people have never really caught my attention before.  But all of a sudden, the availability of the disabled seats on the bus is of city- (if not world-) shaking importance. 

Anyway, the kindly salesman, who did not appear to be that much older than B.A. and I, tried B.A. out on three different rollators, which B.A. pushed up and down the pavement outside the shop, and divined which one B.A. liked best before telling us the prices. B.A. liked the medium-priced one best. At one point, while B.A. was pushing a rollator out the door, the salesman mentioned to me sotto voce that the gentleman was patient and unusually easy to work with. 

"He's very practical," I said in response to this tribute, while thinking what a mercy it was to be working with a knowledgeable person instead of buying a rollator through eBay and hoping for the best. I also imagined crowds of stubborn 70- and 80-something men, all putting off getting walking sticks, let alone a rollator, because in their minds they are still the men who ran races or sailed boats or urged horses over fences. I am sympathetic to their point of view, though, for, as B.A. got on the bus home with his refolded new rollator and we took our seats in the disabled section, I felt about 75 years old. 

By the way, my first authentic memory of a historical event is probably the funeral of Paul VI, so although no spring chicken, I am a generation younger than I felt on Saturday. Wearing a tweed coat, spectacles, practical shoes, a beret, and zero makeup like a Scottish granny of the old school no longer seemed like such a great idea. 

Thus, B.A. and I, fast-forwarded into our 8th decade by misfortune, debated on how to be more youthful. 

"Complain on Tik-Tok about having to work a 40-hour week?" I suggested.

"We already go to the Traditional Latin Mass," B.A. observed.

"True," I said smugly but typed "how to be youthful" on my smartphone. Unfortunately, the internet thought I meant how to look more youthful, and presented two lists--one all about expensive moisturizers and cosmetics and the other about drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep. 

On Sunday morning I discovered I had mislaid an important key and, when I couldn't find it on our return home from Mass, became depressed and hysterical to the point of suicidal ideation which is, sad to say, rather youthful. Fortunately, today I got a message from someone who had found it, so I left off self-contempt and decided to blog. 

In Gigi, a charming film lying about high-class prostitution, Maurice Chevalier sings a song about being glad he's not young anymore. It's mostly about love stuff but the "feeling you're only two foot tall" can unfortunately continue into adulthood. Right now, the part of youth I most envy is the power of compound interest, which is why I bombard my younger relations with advice to save at least 50% of their earnings or pocket money and invest it when they can.  

I suppose planning ever more complicated dance parties is youthful. There's a school of thought that youthfulness involves going to dance clubs and rock concerts. However, I was scarred when I saw what middle-aged Goths look like after leaving a Sisters of Mercy concert in Glasgow that time. (It turned out the Sisters of Mercy were the early show, and we oldies left just as the younghies were queuing to get into the late show, and the contrast was just unspeakable.) Then there's the idea that to be youthful is to get on the floor with building blocks, or a train set, and entering fully into the interests of friends and family aged under 10. 

Well, what do you think? If you woke up feeling 75, what would you do to get back to your proper age? 

 

4 comments:

  1. Although about ten years older than you are, I seldom feel it. I can't even imagine waking up and feeling 75. When I was in my late 20s (!!!), I was terrified of my age because I hadn't accomplished anything yet. Today, I think more about the passage of time than of age, and above all of the whisper of mortality. I don't know if that's reassuring or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't wake up feeling 75. I feel 75 when B.A. and I sit in the disabled section. Well, maybe the foundation of youth can be found in even more dancing. The passage of time thing doesn't floor me yet because I keep thinking about lovely compound interest.

      Delete
  2. I think the fountain of youth probably can be found in more dancing. I've never taken couple-dancing classes and am terrible at following a lead (and yes, I suspect that has metaphorical implications). However, when my father was still alive and we had regular family suppers here, I was delighted to dance with my nieces and nephew to anything pop, from Bruce Springsteen to Michael Jackson, though my brothers disapproved of the latter's, er, dancing style. And it not only made me feel young, it made me feel like a small child....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are rollators not available via NHS occupational therapy? Ditto grab rails are great things altogether. Have you tried Callanetics?

    Flexibility would make me feel young again. Also running for fun. Local kids playing chasing the other day and I was struck by how goal oriented adulthood is. If you and I were to play a game of chasing it would be for a reason; exercise or 'fun' or because I had robbed your handbag. 😉 Everything, even fun, seems to be categorised. I miss doing things for no reason. Not sure I'm explaining what I mean properly. Sinéad

    ReplyDelete